With another wet weekend ahead and summer yet to appear here is a dish that is guaranteed to bring a little sunshine to your plate. This recipe takes a traditional spanish tortilla and mixes it with African flavours by using sweet potatoes instead of regular ones. It is also healthier as sweet potatoes contain significant levels of beta carotene and twice as much vitamin C as ordinary potatoes. A simple yet satisfying dish that can be served both hot and cold virtually any time of the day. Delicious between chunks of crusty bread as picnic food on a summer’s day. Impressive served as tapas, cut into small cubes and speared with cocktail sticks as they do in Spain.
2 small sweet potatoes sliced thinly
6 large free range eggs
1 red onion cut into chunks
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
Salt and fresh ground pepper
1 red pepper cut into chunks
A handful of frozen peas
1 tsp paprika
1) Preheat the oven 200C/gas mark 6 and the grill.
2) Place sweet potato, peppers and onions in an oven tray, drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 25 minutes.
3) Heat a large frying pan with a glug of oil over a medium heat. Fry garlic until soft. Mix 6 eggs in a bowl with paprika, salt and pepper and then pour into the pan.
4) Remove roast vegetables from the oven and lay in frying pan with a handful of frozen peas. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
5) Place the frying pan under the grill making sure it is 4 inches away from the heat for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
6) Serve hot or cold with a side salad. Delicious with a glass of white wine!