I wanted to feature a low fat recipe this weekend as I know many of us are still trying hard to stick to the resolutions we made to be healthier in 2013 following the Christmas blow out. I decided on sea bream because like sea bass it is a favourite of mine and you can also make the same recipe with sea bass fillets if you prefer. 100g of Sea bream or Sea Bass contains 150-200 calories which is why they are an excellent choice for those seeking to follow a diet with low calories but who also seek quality and taste in their meal. Sea Bream and Sea Bass are also rich in iron, and vitamins and also serve as a healthy substitute for red meat. The delicate texture of Sea Bream should not be overwhelmed with some crazy sauce or overwhelming textures. Like the best of Italian cooking this recipe relies on excellent quality fresh ingredients which are then cooked so simply but perfectly transforming your food into something wonderful.
2 fillets Sea Bream/Sea Bass
12 new potatoes
1 red onion chopped
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
8 small vine tomatoes
salt and pepper to season
A handful of fresh basil and thyme chopped
1) Preheat oven to 200C/180 Fan. Boil new potatoes in salted water. When they are just done – even slightly underdone – drain when cool enough and slice thickly.
2) Thinely slice the onion and garlic and then soften in some olive oil in a frying pan.
3) Put the potato slices in a roasting dish and tip in the onions and garlic with all the oil. Cut the fresh tomatoes in half and add. Put in a handful of fresh herbs and season with salt and pepper. Mix together carefully coating the potato slices in oil from the onion and garlic.
4) Put in oven for 15 minutes until the potatos start to brown at the edges. You could prepare this stage an hour or so in advance and do the final stage at the last minute – great for entertaining.
5) Pour over a little olive oil over the sea bream fillets and rub all over, season with salt and pepper and put a small amount of butter on top of each one. Lay carefully over the vegetables and put the dish back in the oven for 12 minutes.
6) Serve with green beans or a crisp green salad. Delicious!