Autumn is fast approaching, which is why i’ve decided to post a recipe for my delicious and super healthy sweetcorn soup which even children as young as three and four will love.
Sweetcorn is one of your five a day. It’s rich in nutrients, including antioxidants beta-carotene and lutein, the carotenoids which give the vegetables their distinctive yellow colour. These are essential for preventing eye diseases, which is why we say carrots help you see in the dark. Corn also contains B vitamins and vitamin C, as well as magnesium and potassium.
Corn has less sugar than apples. It’s fibre boosting, good for gut bacteria and gluten free.
Time: 30 mins
660g tinned sweetcorn
Sea salt and pepper to season
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 red onion finely chopped
200ml double cream
A glug of olive oil
1 vegetable stock cube
1 avocado to garnish
10 cherry tomatoes to garnish
Three spring onions to garnish.
- Add a glut of olive oil to a large saucepan. Fry onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Add the tinned sweetcorn and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Boil the kettle and make 200ml of vegetable stock.
- Add the vegetable stock to the saucepan and season with sea salt and pepper.
- Turn off heat and leave pan to cool for five minutes.
- Pour sweetcorn mixture into blender or food processor and blend until you have a smooth soup.
- Return soup to the saucepan and heat