The name Cape comes from the town called Western Cape in South Africa, where a good number of Malaysians dwell.
Packed full of flavourful spices this is the perfect sweet and sour curry to serve in your garden on a summer’s evening.
2tbsp olive oil
1 large onion finely chopped
4 large garlic cloves, finely grated
2 tbsp finely grated ginger
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 cinnamon stick snapped in half
1 large red chilli, halved deseeded and sliced.
400g can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp mango chutney
1 chicken stock cube, crumbled
2 chicken breasts, skin removed
1 red pepper chopped into small cubes
2 large mushrooms chopped into small cubes
4-6 new potatoes chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes until soft. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring frequently to stop it sticking.
- Add all the other spices and fresh chilli, stir, then pour in the chopped tomatoes with 2 cans of water, plus the chutney and crumbled stock cube.
- Add the potatoes, red pepper and mushrooms and simmer on a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the diced chicken breasts and coriander pushing them under the liquid, then cover the pan and leave to simmer for a further twenty minutes.
- Serve with rice and fresh coriander.