My easy chocolate banana bread is moist and tender, and a chocolate lovers dream. I can’t keep enough banana’s in the house to make banana bread anymore as my daughter Alice devours them all. I bought ten bananas this week just to make sure I’d have enough for this bread and enough to keep Alice happy.
Good quality cocoa is key for this recipe. I always use Green and Blacks cocoa. Another top tip is to use overripe bananas. Three bananas or 1 1/2 cups of mashed bananas is the perfect banana/chocolate ratio. The bananas make the bread perfectly moist and cut the bitterness of the cocoa powder. Don’t overtake the bread. Take it out of the oven as soon as a skewer comes out clean.
My chocolate banana bread is so rich and divine and the best bit is it can be enjoyed any time of the day, even for breakfast as it’s bread! If you really want to impress the kids at an upcoming Halloween party then why not ice a white spiderweb, bat or pumpkin on top of your loaf and serve as a sweet treat. The only downside to this recipe is your banana bread will be so delicious it will be eaten in no time and you will be forced to make another one.
Time: 60 mins
Makes: 1 loaf – 8-10 slices
1 cup self raising flour
1/2 cup good quality cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 large brown bananas (1 1/2/cups mashed)
1/2 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1) Heat your oven to 350F, 180C. Grease a nine by 5 inch loaf tin with butter and set aside.
2) In a bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa and baking powder. Set aside.
3) In a large bowl mash the ripe bananas with a fork. Add the melted butter and stir until combined. Stir in the sugar and egg until smooth.
4) Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, don’t overmix. Stir until you have a smooth batter. Mix in the chocolate chips.
5) Pour batter into the prepared loaf tin. Bake for 50-65 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Check at 50 minutes as oven times vary.
6) Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack. When the bread is cool carefully remove from the pan. Leave to fully cool.
7) When the bread is cool pipe some white icing across the top. Cut into slices and serve.
8) The bread will keep in a cake tin for 4-5 days. It also freezes well. To freeze cool completely and wrap in plastic wrap and foil. Freeze for up to a month. Always defrost before slicing.