‘Crispy, cheesy, comforting, but packed with broccoli.’
Cheesy broccoli bites are a great source of vitamin C and K. Broccoli is a super food full of calcium, folate, fibre and even protein. It has been tested and found to be beneficial for digestion, heart health and natural detoxification. If your kids aren’t keen on broccoli yet these little cheesy bites might be just the dish that turns them.
What I love most about this cheesy snack is just how versatile it is. Pair it with chicken and rice and you will have a dinner the kids will love. Serve it as a tasty appetizer, lunch, or simple snack. You can also experiment with different ingredient combinations. Try adding in onion, peppers, mushrooms or parmesan cheese.
If you are organising a playdate or a kids party you can easily make a batch or two ahead, and chill or freeze, then reheat when ready to serve.
What healthy snacks do you make at home for your little ones? Please share your ideas here with us at SurreyK.
Time: 35 minutes
Makes 18 bites
150g broccoli, frozen or fresh, chopped
1 clove garlic finely chopped
60g Cheddar cheese grated
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp fresh/dried oregano
salt or pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 200C. Steam broccoli until soft but not overcooked. Approx 7 mins for fresh and 8 if frozen.
- Drain well then add to a large bowl and mash.
- Add the oats, herbs and seasoning, cheese, eggs, garlic and mustard to the bowl and mix well.
- Take out 1 tbsp of the mixture at a time and roll into small balls.
5. Place the balls on an oiled baking tray and cook for 25 minutes until they start to crisp up.
Kids will especially enjoy these cheesy broccoli bites if served with a yogurt or tomato sauce dip.