This soup is perfect on a cold day when something really tasty, filling and nutritious is required for lunch. Deliciously warming with plenty of flavour and an ideal way to get nutrient rich cauliflower into your diet, particularly if you find plain boiled cauliflower a bit off putting.
Cauliflower is rich in vitamin C and folate and is a good source of fibre and vitamin K. It’s also rich in phytochemical and antioxidants, two naturally occurring compounds thought to play a role in chronic disease prevention.
The tangy saltiness of crumbled blue cheese plus the smooth silkiness of this creamy cauliflower soup equals a culinary match made in heaven. Serve with good quality olive bread and you have the perfect lunch or light dinner to fend off the winter blues.
Time: 40 mins
1 red onion peeled
3 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 pint vegetable stock
1/2 pint milk
1 cauliflower cut into florets
1 tbsp flour
100g/3oz blue cheese
1 tbsp paprika
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add cauliflower florets and cook over a low heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over cauliflower and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the stock, stirring continuously.
- Add the paprika.
- Bring to the boil then remove from the heat.
- Blend with a hand blender (Braun) or place in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Return to the pan and crumble in the blue cheese.
- Serve with buttered olive bread.
Don’t forget to follow us on