Emma's Speedy Meatball Supper, healthy autumn recipes, lemon and spring onion bulgur wheat, Miles surrey kitchens cat, Moroccan seasoning, speedy meatball supper, twist on Italian meatballs, www.surreyKitchen.com
If you are looking for a hearty recipe to lift your spirits this Autumn then try this deeply delicious, speedy meatball supper.
With a twist on Italian meatballs this dish is served with bulgur wheat instead of spaghetti. Moroccan seasonings of cumin and cinnamon are used to create a flavourful dish with a zesty bite that is not too spicy.
This recipe is low in fat and together with the lemon and spring onion bulgur wheat makes the perfect escape on a chilly evening.
6 beef meatballs
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 red onion finely chopped
1 green pepper finely chopped
1 tin chickpeas
1 tin chopped tomatoes
tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
200g bulgur wheat
4 spring onions sliced
- Heat a large pan over a low heat. Toast the cumin and the cinnamon in the coconut oil for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the garlic and onion and fry until soft and translucent.
- Add the meatballs and fry for 6-7 minutes turning now and then, until golden brown and cooked.
- Put the bulgur wheat in a small pan, cover with water, bring to the boil, then simmer for 7 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped tomatoes, puree and chickpeas to the meatballs. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until the meatballs are done.
- Drain excess water from bulgur wheat and place in a bowl.
- Grate the zest of the lemon and squeeze the juice into a jug.
- Add lemon juice, zest and spring onion to the bulgur wheat and mix thoroughly.
- Serve meatballs on a bed of lemon and spring onion bulgur wheat.
Miles rating 10/10
Still trying to convince us he’s the baby of the family since Alice’s arrival!