Apples, spice, indulgent fudge and crumbly cake make a winning winter dessert or tea time treat. The marriage of sweet and tangy apple with warming winter spices and melted fudge is the perfect antidote to the dreary November weather. Serve with clotted cream or creme fraiche as a decadent dessert for a winter dinner party or with a cup of tea or coffee as a simple tea time treat.
Time: 1hr 30 mins
150g apples, peeled and core removed.
100g fudge cut into small cubes
2 tsp mixed spice
150g soft brown sugar
250g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
A splash of milk
creme fraiche, cream or ice cream to serve
icing sugar for dusting
1) Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2) Slice two apples into 1cm rings and chop the rest of the apples into small cubes.
3) Grease and line a 20cm/8inch loose-bottomed tin.
4) Sprinkle half of the fudge cubes into the bottom of the tin. Arrange the apple slices on top.
5) Put the rest of the cubes of apple and spices into a bowl and mix together thoroughly. Place half the apple cubes in the baking tin.
6) Cream together the butter and the sugar. Beat in the eggs, the flour and baking powder until combined. Stir the remaining apple and fudge into the mixture.
7) Bake in the oven for one hour, or until the top is golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
8) Before serving dust with icing sugar.