‘Summer’s lease have all too short a date.’ William Shakespeare (Sonnets)
The sun is shining here in the U.K for May bank holiday weekend so I imagine there will be a lot of al fresco dining taking place across the country. If you are looking for a healthy, delicious, easy to prepare recipe, that allows you to spend less time in the kitchen and more time with your friends and family then try my Salmon, Avocado and New Potato Salad with Chilli and Lime May. Perfect with a glass of Riesling or White Bordeaux.
Check out our new time-lapse inside SurreyKitchen photo gallery below.
This dish is full of healthy poly unsaturated and mono saturated fats from the salmon and avocado. I have added fresh chives from my garden for extra freshness, but parsley, basil, mint or coriander would work just as well.
Chili and Lime mayonnaise is probably my favourite kind. Plain old mayo is just too bland for my liking. The zingy, creamy combination compliments the salmon perfectly. It is also delicious served with chicken, crab, prawns and squid.
This tangy, warm salad is also the perfect excuse to tuck into some of the sweet, fragrant jersey royal potatoes that are now in season. Perfect for feeding a crowd.
Time: 30 mins approx
2 salmon fillets
1 small red onion
1 garlic clove
1 red chilli
500g jersey royal potatoes
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1) Add the jersey royals to saucepan of water, bring to the boil and gently simmer for about ten minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Drain the potatoes and set to one side.
2) Finely chop the garlic, red onion, chill and chives.
3) Place 2 tbsp mayonnaise into a large mixing bowl. Add onion, chilli, garlic and chives and mix thoroughly. Squeeze the juice of one lime over the mayonnaise and stir.
4) Once the potatoes are cool enough slice into 1/2 cm chunks. Add to the mayonnaise and stir so that all the potatoes are coated.
5) In the meantime grill the salmon fillets for ten minutes or until cooked all the way through. Set aside to cool.
6) Peel halve and slice the avocado. Spoon the potatoes into two separate bowls and lay the avocado on top.
7) Place a salmon fillet on the top of the avocado in each bowl, sprinkle over a few of the left over chives, then serve. Delicious!
Too much salmon, can’t quite lift butt onto sofa!