Impress a loved one with a stylish, sophisticated yet deceptively simple way to prepare a rack of lamb. A delicious combination of roast lamb with a creamy sidekick. Covering the lamb with a mix of Dijon mustard,
Rack of Lamb
Good quality rack of lamb for 2
2tbs olive oil
3 garlic cloves finely chopped
4 tbsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
3tbsp dried parsley
0.5 kg/ 1lb 2oz baking potatoes peeled.
3-4 cloves garlic finely chopped
250ml double cream (you may need a bit extra)
salt and pepper to season.
Tomatoes & Mushrooms
12 cherry tomatoes on the vine
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to season
1) Preheat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
2) Slice the potatoes into thin slices, about 3mm/0.5in thick and place in a bowl.
3) Sprinkle garlic over the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
4) Pour cream over the potatoes and mix throughly.
5) Layer potato slices in an oven dish. The cream should come to just below the top layer of potatoes. Add more cream if necessary. Place in oven and bake for 30-45 minutes.
6) Meanwhile put the rack of lamb in a dish flesh side up and make slashes in the skin to allow the flavours to penetrate. You can ask the butcher to take the skin off for you but I chose to cook my lamb in the skin as it helps to keep the meat moist.
7) Mix together 2 tbsp olive oil, the mustard, garlic rosemary and parsley in a small bowl. Season well and rub the mixture onto the skin and flesh, coating the lamb evenly.
8) Turn the oven up to 200C/fan 180C/gas6. Place the lamb in a roasting tin and cook for 30 minutes approx depending on the size of the rack.
9) Place the vine of cherry tomatoes and the mushrooms in a small roasting tin, cover with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven with the lamb. 10-15 minutes before you take the lamb out of the oven to serve, heat through the potato dauphinoise you prepared earlier.
10) Remove from oven, leave lamb to cool for a few minutes, then carve into cutlets and serve with potato dauphinoise, roasted tomatoes and mushrooms. Delicious with a glass of good quality red wine!