There is a jar of mincemeat left over from christmas in my kitchen that for weeks I’ve been wondering what to do with. Finally I cracked, one of us had to go, so I came up with a cake similar to the ones you often see on farmers market stalls. The mincemeat adds spice and moisture to the cake. It’s absolutely gorgeous and really easy to make.
225g self-raising flour
150g light brown sugar
2 large eggs
100g dried fruit
25g chopped almonds
1) Preheat oven 160C/fan140C/gas 3. Grease a loaf tin and line with baking paper.
2) Stir in all the ingredients. Mix until thoroughly blended in a large bowl.
3) Turn into the prepared loaf tin and level out evenly.
4) Bake for 1hr in oven or until the cake is golden brown.
5) Serve with a cup of tea for a tasty afternoon treat.