Are you looking for a simple recipe to ensure your guests get the perfect sausage rolls this New Years Eve? Well look no further, because when it comes to sausage rolls my husband demands the highest of standards. In order to please one who would regard these tasty morsels as ‘finger food of the gods,’ I add onion, garlic and chilli to give them extra depth of flavour.
1 pack of ready rolled puff pastry.
1 pack of good quality sausage meat.
4 spring onions finely chopped.
2 cloves garlic finely chopped.
1 large chilli finely chopped.
Salt and pepper.
1) Preheat oven to 180 C/ gas mark 4
2) Finely chop spring onions, garlic and chilli.
3) Put sausage meat into a large mixing bowl. Add garlic, onion and chilli and mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper.
4) On a floured work surface, roll the pastry out into a big rectangle as thin as you can and cut it lengthways into two long, even rectangles.
5) Roll the mixture into sausage shapes with your hands and lay along the centre of each rectangle.
6) Mix the egg and brush pastry with the mixture. Fold one side of the pastry over so that the sausage meat is wrapped inside. Press down with your fingers to seal the join.
7) Cut the long rolls into the sizes you want and space them out on a baking tray. Brush with the remaining egg and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown and the sausage meat is cooked right through.