A little melted butter for greasing
100g good quality plain chocolate, broken into pieces
280g caster sugar
240ml sunflower oil
25g Coca powder
250g plain flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
200g plain chocolate, broken into pieces
225ml double cream
1. Grate orange and put the peel aside for decoration later on.
2. Preheat oven to 180C/gas 4/fan 160C.
3. Grease and line the base of a 23 cm/9 inch round cake tin.
4. Melt the chocolate in a heat proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water or in the microwave for 2 mins on high stirring after 1 min. Let cool.
5. In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs, sugar and oil. Squeeze the juice of the grated orange into mix, discarding any pips.
6. Stir in cool melted chocolate.
7. Sift in cocoa powder, flour and baking powder.
8. Mix well and pour into tin. Bake in oven for over 55 mins, or until cake springs back when lightly pressed in the middle.
9. Allow to cool for ten mins in the tin, then turn out on wire rack to cool completely.
10. Make chocolate ganache: put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Bring the cream to the boil and pour over the chocolate. Leave for 2 mins, then stir until smooth. Set aside until firm enough to spread over the cake – up to 1hr & 30 mins.
11. Transfer the cake to serving plate. Using a palette knife, spread the ganache over the top. Decorate with the orange peel. If you are using this cake as a dessert serve with fresh strawberries or raspberries.